Barry A. Garst, Ph.D. is an associate professor at Clemson University, where he teaches in the bachelors and master's degree Youth Development Leadership programs in the Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management.
- Director of Program Development and Research, American Camp Association (2007-2014)
- Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist, Youth Development- Virginia Tech (2001-2007)
- Director of Programs- W.E. Skelton 4-H Educational Conference Center (1998-2001)
- Research Assistant- Arizona State University (1996-1998)
- Counselor, Therapeutic Wilderness Treatment Program- Three Springs of North Carolina/Atlantic Behavioral Health Systems (1993-1996)
Dr. Garst's research and professional interests focus on positive youth development in out-of-school time (OST) programs and settings. A nationally recognized researcher and scholar in the area of summer camp experiences, his scholarship has also examined how human contact with nature transforms youth and families.
277 Lehotsky Hall
Clemson, SC 29634