Outcomes of Camp Experiences for Youth, Staff, Alumni, and Families
Whittington, A. & Garst, B. (2018). The role of camp in shaping college readiness and building a pathway to the future for camp alumni. Journal of Youth Development, 13(1-2), 105-125.
Olsen, L., Powell, G., Garst, B., & Bixler, R. (2018). Camp and college parallels: Crucibles for transition-linked turning points. Journal of Youth Development, 13(1-2), 126-143.
Whittington, A., Garst, B., Gagnon, R., & Baughman, S. (2017). Living without boys: A retrospective analysis of the benefits and skills gained at all-female camps. Journal of Experiential Education, 40(2), 97-113.
Garst, B. & Gagnon, R. (2016). A structural model of camp director practices and outcomes: Does intention toward program outcomes matter. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration: Special Issue on Positive Youth Development, 34(4), 51-65.
Garst, B., Gagnon, R., & Whittington, A. (2016). A closer look at the camp experience: Examining relationships between life skills, elements of positive youth development, and antecedents of change among camp alumni. Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education, and Leadership, 8(2), 180-199.
- Garst, B. & Gagnon, R. (2016). Relationship between life skills, youth development, and antecedents of change in camp alumni. 2016 American Camp Association Research Forum Abstracts (pp. 17-19).
- Garst, B.A., Baughman, S., Whittington, A., & Gagnon, R.J. (2015). Influences of resident camp experiences on career choice: A case study of female alumnae. Research in Outdoor Education, 13(1), 59-82.
- Garst, B. & Ozier, L. (2015). Enhancing youth outcomes and organizational practices through a camp based reading program. Journal of Experiential Education, 1-15.
- Duerden, M., Witt, P., Garst, B., Bialeschki, D., Schwarzlose, T. & Norton, K. (2014). The impact of camp employment on the workforce development of emerging adults. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 32(1), 26-44.
- Garst, B. Baughman, S., Franz, N., & Seidel, R. (2013). Strengthening families: Exploring the impacts of family camp experiences on family functioning and parenting. Journal of Experiential Education, 36(1), 65-77.
- Garst, B., Franz, N., Peters, B., Baughman, S., & Smith, C. (2012). Using single-case participatory action research as a methodology to explore Appalachian summer camp communities. PRISM- A Journal of Regional Engagement, 1(1).
- Garst, B., Browne, L., & Bialeschki, M.D. (2011). Youth development and the camp experience. In L. Allen and R. Barcelona (Eds.), New Directions for Youth Development (Special Issue on Recreation as a Developmental Experience), 130, 73-87. Jossey-Bass.
- Garst, B., Nichols, A., Martz, J., McNeely, N.N., Bovitz, L., Frebershauser, D., Garton, M., LeMenestrel, S., & Walahoski, J. (2011). Examining youth camping outcomes across multiple states: The National 4-H Camping Research Consortium. Journal of Youth Development, 6(1).
- Garst, B., Franz, N. Baughman, S., Smith, C., & Peters, B. (2009). “Growing without limitations”: Transformation among young adult camp staff. Journal of Youth Development, 4(1).
Baughman, S. Garst, B., & Fuhrman, N.E. (2009). Consistency of developmental outcomes of 4-H camp experiences over time and across sites. Journal of Youth Development, 4(2).
Garst, B. & Johnson, J. (2005). Adolescent leadership skill development through residential camp counseling. Journal of Extension 43(5).
Garst, B. & Bruce, F. (2003). Identifying camping outcomes using a standardized evaluation process across multiple 4-H educational centers. Journal of Extension, 41(3).